Pediatric Dentist In Islamabad
Smile Center Pediatric Dentist in Islamabad work to promote dental health in children as well as serve as an educational resource for parents. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommend dental visits after the first tooth erupts or by a child’s first birthday. The AAPD says it’s important to create a comprehensive and accessible relationship between dentist and patient – it’s called the patient’s “dental home.”
This is because an early oral examination helps detect early stages of tooth decay. Early detection is essential to maintaining oral health, changing abnormal habits, and treating as needed and as often as possible. In addition, parents are given a preventive home care program (brushing, flossing and fluorides), caries risk assessment, information on finger, thumb and pacifier habits, and children’s oral and dental care. Advice on avoiding injuries may include diet. Counseling, and information on growth and development.
Pediatric dentistry is one of ten dental specialties recognized by the American Dental Association. Other specialties include dental public health, endodontics, oral and maxillofacial pathology, oral and maxillofacial radiology, oral and maxillofacial surgery, orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics, periodontics, and prosthodontics.
The first step would be to earn a college degree in biomedical science, health science, or social science as long as all biomedical course prerequisites are met. While in college, one can explore the profession by shadowing in a pediatric dental office or children’s hospital, or working on academic research studying children’s oral health.
Responsibilities Of a Pediatric Dentist Include:
- Diagnose and treat oral disease(preventive and restorative)
- Interpret x-rays and other diagnostic tests
- Formulate treatment plans to restore oral health of pediatric patients including healthy one and those with special health care needs
- Monitor growth and development of all teeth and jaws
- Treat dental malocclusion interceptive orthodontic treatment and/or orthodontics
- Perform surgical procedures on teeth, bone, and soft tissues of the oral cavity
- Provide emergency care(dental infection, pain, and dental trauma)
- Treat pediatric patients under different levels of sedation(minimal, moderate, or deep) and general anesthesia